RE: Accidentally Delete *.dbf Files, OH NO!!!

  • From: "Eric Buddelmeijer" <Eric.Buddelmeijer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mfontana@xxxxxxxxx>, <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 18:29:30 +0100

Michael,

I Like one suggestion earlier in this thread about fuser. I have been trying
to get our sa's to incorporate it in some sort of wrapping for rm (alias,
link, function or other). Precisely because fuser will tell you if a user,
and even which one is using a file. Problem is I can't do it myself because
you need root privileges to use fuser, at least on the versions of solaris I
have seen (2.8 and 2.9). And the sa's have not found the time to work around
that. But there is also a chance fuser will not tell you that the file is
being used because it in fact it is not. Oracle might not have each and
every file opened. And the database could be down as well.
Having said all that, maybe communication with your colleaques is the best
solution. Tell them when you put some essential files in an unlikely place.
So they know the files must not be deleted.

Eric.